Wednesday, July 15, 2009

I like America

So I’ve realized in the past couple of days how much I really do like the United States. Yes, America can make me mad sometimes, but overall it’s a really great place. I like how things are organized. I like the restaurants and stores and malls. I love the toilets. I like how there is usually toilet paper and soap in most public restrooms. I love how you can go online to find whatever place you want and how close it is to where you live. I like the healthy food options that there are. Air conditioning is wonderful. I LOVE technology! I also really love the school I teach at. I’m very excited to go back to work actually. The school is just amazing, and I’m excited to grow into a better teacher with each year of experience.

It’s not that I dislike Spain or any other country. Mexico is my #1 and Spain is pretty close up there. The countries are just so different that it’s hard to compare. I love it here, really. It’s such a great country with tons of history behind it. I love how it starts getting dark around 10 PM, and that you see old people dressed in their Sunday best walking around the streets at 11PM with their friends on a week night. I also really love the amazing candy shops all over that have a larrrrrge variety of nuts and candy, although this is not a good thing for my body. So anyway, I was doing all of this thinking in the last couple of days, and came to the conclusion that I like the country that I live in, and although I’m enjoying Spain, I’m excited to go home.

I’ve really been missing Jordan a lot. We haven’t been apart from each other for this long since we’ve been married. I am very very thankful for Skype. Although it’s not the same as talking in person, it’s pretty close. 2 ½ weeks seems like such a long time to see him, but I’m sure it will come fast. It’s not really fun to be apart on our anniversary, but it will be like this for the next few years, so I guess we’ll have to make a pretend-anniversary date to celebrate.

Story of the day: Yesterday I went to a large supermarket to shop around, and I wanted to buy some apples, so I got 2 of them. When I went to check out, the cashier told me that I had to weigh them myself where all of the fruits and vegetables were. I had never heard of that before. So, I just bought the other two things that I had and left the apples there. I didn’t want to go back to weigh them because the lines were really long. There was a screaming child behind me in a stroller, which made me want to get out of there as fast as possible. I don’t know what the kid’s problem was, but it needed to stop. “Wahhhhhh, I didn’t get the sucker that I wanted. Wahhhh, life is so hard as a 3-yr. old. There’s nothing worse that could have happened to anybody else in the world than what just happened to me…”

“SHUT UP and get an adult brain,” is what I say. Harsh? Yes, that’s how I am. Kids just need to be adults. Also, I think I am a child magnet unfortunately. If there is a child running all over the place in a park (of course not looking where they’re going) and there are 100 people all around, there is a 98% chance that the kid will run into me or fall down and go “boom” right in front of me. Oh geeze, it’s really awkward when they fall and start to cry because I don’t know what to do. I should probably pick the thing up and try to be all comforting and what not, but I don’t want to touch it with all of that sticky goo and poop all over it’s body. I usually just walk away, really fast when I see that it’s going to fall. The only time that I would touch a child in that situation is if it belonged to someone I knew. Let me just remind you, I don’t hate all children, I just don’t like the idea of them (sorry God). So if you have a little kid and I know you, I most likely like your kid and think it’s cute. I just like to look and not touch because they can be fun to watch at times. Sometimes if I pretend that children are dogs or cats, I can talk to them like everybody else does in that baby voice. Otherwise, it’s really awkward for me to talk like that to another human.

So there you have it. By the way, I’m pregnant. Happy early birthday, Jordan.




















Aaaaand, that was a big lie.

6 comments:

Di said...

great post. i love blogs that go off. happy pregnancy. fun times ahead i hear.

Karianne said...

Amazing post. I love it, Julio. The only thing worse than little kids is their out of control ANGRY MOTHERS! Angry mothers ready to destroy anything that gets in the way of their precious child. A mother that kill/injures 40 people while running to get bug repellant to spray on her child's stupid arm. That type. I'm glad my mom wasn't like that. Actually, she was opposite of an angry mother. She would put other kids before me any day!!

Rachel said...

Yay...I'm going to be an aunt! Actually I'm starting to get a little annoyed myself with Rohan...he's almost 3 years old and being potty trained at the moment. Whenever I tell him it's time to sit on the potty he says "Noooo. I don't want to" and runs away. Usually I end up forcing him to go into the bathroom while he's screaming at the top of his lungs and kicking me as hard as he can. It's great. I can't wait til I have children someday.

AngelaB said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA! HA! some things never change julee, like your sense of humor. i love it.

nikki said...

hold the phone. you aren't really?!?!

Kara said...

I am also missing the wonderful American restaurants, the great invention that we call toilet paper, and air conditioning. I love India... but I wholeheartedly agree with missing the things that we don't necessarily think about having until we are without.

HAHA I laughed really hard at your story! It was a great start to my day!